Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Earthquake!

We don't often get earthquakes here in the UK and most of those we do get are relatively minor. In fact, I've never been aware of one happening before. Last night's turned out to be the biggest quake for about 25 years, measuring about 5.2 on the Richter scale. So no wonder I was shaken awake at 1am this morning.

DS, who slept through it all, finds it highly amusing that I thought an animal had got into the bedroom and jumped off the bed making it shake. DH thought he heard some boxes falling over in the loft. But I couldn't understand how either of those could explain the entire house shaking. It was quite scary for a while - I was convinced that the contents of the loft were about to come crashing through the bedroom ceiling.

But the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that earthquake was the only explanation, so I switched on the radio and was in time to hear the first reports of the quake come through. It was quite a relief that earthquake was the answer!

4 comments:

Mrs Moog said...

We missed it but I do have to say the dog has been acting even weirder than usual for a couple of days!! I remember experiencing the 'quake' of 25 years ago and it's a most bizarre thing to feel the floor move - I thought I was passing out!!!
It does make you realise how terrifying it must be for those people who go through 'real' earthquakes.
Nice to see something other than boring government sleeze on the new though!!

Sally said...

It woke us up here too. We're only about 60 miles north of the epicentre. I thought someone was shaking the bed at first then realised the whole house was shaking. Must admit I was damned scared!

Mary said...

I'm sure it was scary just to witness it, but to be awakened from a sound sleep must have been really terrifying! Glad you're safe and hope there was no damage.

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad that all is ok....heaven's I bet that was scarey :(